This blog has moved. I hope you'll hop over and visit me at the link below.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but please if you subscribe in a reader or by email would you mind resubscribing over at PositivelyAlene.com.

This blog will be redirected within the next week. Thank you!


Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring Cleaning 101

It’s that time of year again – Spring – and I’m loving it. Spring ushers in such a newness and freshness to the year. The cool, crisp mornings are awesome. The air beckons you to breathe deeper, slow down and clean. Oops, did I say clean? I thought spring cleaning was something my mother invented, but no it has a history all its own.

Online Definition: Spring cleaning is the period in spring when time is set aside for cleaning a house. The most common usage of spring cleaning refers to the yearly act of cleaning a house from top to bottom which would take place in the first warm days of the year typically in spring, hence the name. However it has also come to be synonymous with any kind of heavy duty cleaning or organizing enterprise. A person who gets their affairs in order before an audit or inspection could be said to be doing some spring cleaning.

One possible origin: Spring cleaning can be traced to the ancient Jewish practice of thoroughly cleansing the home in anticipation of the spring-time holiday of Passover. During this eight-day holiday there was a strict prohibition against eating anything which may have been leavened. Therefore, observant Jews conduct a thorough cleaning of the house, followed by a traditional hunt for chametz (leavened food stuff).

I’m learning there is so much more to spring cleaning than I ever imagined. I’ve been called to a strict cleaning season this year to get my affairs in order, to rid my home of dirt, and to conduct a thorough clean-up of all that lies around my home that is forbidden. Yes, this will take some serious and organized efforts. My home, my heart and God’s temple are in need of a serious sweeping, dusting and polishing.

This spring I’ll be hanging out in the temple. Actually, I’ll be tackling the temple. It will certainly be a Spring Cleaning 101 class. I have so much to learn about the temple, my heart and my home. One thing is for sure – a cleaning has begun. Spring Cleaning! Believe it or not, I’m not growling! I’m enthusiastically enthralled.

Psalm 69:9 has captivated me, “Passion for your house has consumed me.”

Today, I have a renewed passion for His house, a temple to sweep, and a home to clean. Girls, I’m in dire need of some cleaning suggestions. Care to share?

4 comments:

Nadine

I found that if I take little bites it's better and I feel more success than trying big chunks of cleaning. Start small and then work your way up.

Kristen Reyna

I sometimes use the kitchen timer. I set it for five minutes per room and get done what I can in that length of time. Sometimes that's all the cleaning I can "bear" for the day!

Alene

Thanks, girls! I love your suggestions. I am incorporating these suggestions into my own cleaning process.

Anonymous

This was a really refreshing post! I've been in a slump lately, completely unmotivated to do housework.

But it also makes me think about my body being a temple for the Lord and how I better not fill it with garbage. Good post, Alene!

Post a Comment