I need your feedback regarding family tensions during the holiday season. Do you find that maintaining a routine is or was especially important for your kids, especially during the holidays? Can you share a way in which you help kids, aged 5-10, beat holiday stress? Do you have a specific routine you follow during the holidays? Do family traditions figure into your holiday schedule? Do you find those traditions add or take away from family tensions?
I’ll take all suggestions, but especially ones regarding ages 5-10.
You gals rock!
I’m amazed today. Just amazed.







6 comments:
Hmmm ~ Can I remember what we did when our boys were 5-10 especially with a 4 1/2 yr old granddaughter ~ Hmmm!
I do remember that we always kept a loosely followed routine. Our youngest thrives on routine and stresses when things change. For us at the holidays we kept our regular routine but incorporated special holiday traditions, many of which we continue with today.
Because I absolutely love, love, love Christmas AND we don't buy anything we can't pay for, I don't recall that Christmas time was stressful us or our children.
We let our boys know that church and school activities still came first but after that they could enjoy the holidays however they wanted.
Maybe we are not typical but we have never really had added stress at the holidays. We just have too much fun.
I think remembering to limit our purchases to things we can pay for with cash is the best advise to give anyone. Then you have NO financial stress AND you can truly enjoy the blessings of the season.
One year we had NO money ~ our youngest son received a bicycle that we found in the trash and fixed it up ~ our oldest received our Pentax camera with case, film and lens ~ I will tell you that was the happiest Christmas we ever had.
So enough walking down memory lane! I'm off to WOF!!!
Bless you, Cindy
Well, let me see. I try to keep everyone on there toes always. Doing chores. Even 5-10 year olds. We share what Jesus has done and that this is not all about the gifts. We also do watch some of the Christmas movies as they get closer to that time. But most of all they enjoy waiting for that time when we go to service on Christmas eve. I know that this year will be special since Norman will be dry for 60 days,, by that time.
This year we also started something new we all put the tree up on Halloween. So we can celebrate life all through the New Year.
Honestly, the holidays are nothing but tension for me due to a very strained relationship with my daughter.
One thing I am trying to do is to teach my grandaughters to put all the focus on Christ at Christmas. I have made a "Jesus Birthday Cake" from a box. Several weeks before Christmas I start reminding the girls to think about what they want to give Jesus for His birthday. I encourage them to make something small for Jesus that will fit into the birthday cake box. I put the "cake" on display on my coffee table. On Christmas day, if they come over, I read the story of Christmas from a childrens book and they act is out on the table using a children's nativity set. Then they each place their gifts inside the cake box for Jesus. I use 3 battery operated candles that the girls each "light" and place on the cake and we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. After that they can open their presents.
For me stress came in when all the family would get together. We didn't always get along and every year someone was always fighting with someone. LOL
Pray for us....my daughter is not making good choices right now and we have not talked to her in about 3 weeks. She will not take our calls. Finances is also extremely tight and hubby is stressed to the max. I have faith that God will see us through these times and this will pass. Boy, it is very hard going through all this.
Thanks for the comment and visiting my blog. I haven't blogged lately due to heavy heart. Trying to pull myself out of the mire and muck!
I know my feedback probably wasn't what you were looking for. I will think back on Christmas's past and maybe have better feedback for you.
Sweet Blessings,
Darlene
HI Alene..
I just wanted to drop by and say Hello sistah!!. I don't drop by too often, but I do think of you *smile*. it's been such a busy month lol grrrr, but I had to come over and say hello and give you a big (((Hugz))))
Luv ya Lorie
Thanks gals for all your comments and suggestions. I incorporated your thoughts into the article. I've realized relationships and finances are major sources of stress during the holidays. Also, our (parents) stress influence the stress our children feel. Happy holidays to each of you. You are precious.
Post a Comment