Guilty because the house is not adorned, as usual. We finally put up one little Christmas tree with lights and bare minimal ornaments. There's no garland, poinsettia's, or ribbon -- just three stockings awkwardly hung over the fireplace. (Yes my children are young adults, but they still wait on Santa!) And while my children laugh and chuckle at how different this December is, part of my soul feels guilty.
Shouldn't there be lights, garland and Christmas bows galore?
Shouldn't Christmas music sweetly fall upon every moment in this house?
Shouldn't the gifts be wrapped and under the tree?
Shouldn't the kids have surprise after surprise?
Shouldn't things be the same as usual?
During my guilt-ridden pity party of sorts, I began to wonder if Mary ever felt guilty.
Did Mary feel guilty knowing she was carrying the Savior of the world and nothing went right?
Did she feel guilty being on the road and not having a home to birth the Christ child in?
Did she feel guilty that the pregnancy wasn't perfect and people were talking?
Did she feel guilty the KIng wanted to kill her first born?
Did she feel guilty when the Messiah had to be born in a dirty, filthy manger?
Oh I wonder, did Mary feel guilty? I'd love to hear your thoughts.








6 comments:
I would guess that Mary did...she wanted the best for her baby.
Simplify is my motto...not much guilt with that anymore
Wow, I'm not sure I can answer that question. I am thinking, most likely, she did, at one point or another.
As women now, we feel guilty about all of those things. I think that women haven't changed all that much since then. We were made to bear children and be mothers and I think sometimes we're overly critical of ourselves to try to be the best mothers possible. I have a feeling that Mary felt that possibly more acutely than any of us. The thought of being a mother to a perfect child, a child who was LITERALLY God's son, must have been terrifying. I would want more than anything to make things perfect for that child. But she was also chosen BY God because she was special and I hope that she knew that. I hope that she knew just how precious she was to God that SHE would be chosen. And I hope that as we enter this holiday season especially, we can remember how precious WE are to God and that WE too are chosen to be stewards over his children. We can ask Him for help and be the best mothers we can be, without the guilt. You're wise for trying to simplify the holidays. The holidays are about HIM, not the tree and garlands and lights.
hey girl, you did better than me. I have no tree up and the only decorations are my olive wood nativity set from Israel and a Scentsy Burner with cinnamon scent filling the house. That's it.
My goal is to focus on Jesus and only Jesus and the minimalist approach helps me do that.
Love you and Merry Christmas.
Your comments overwhelm me. What if Mary felt more guilty than we? What a thought to ponder. Merry Christmas and blessings friends.
I've found myself reflecting so much on Mary this season, which is much different for me. Can you imagine carrying the Savior in your womb? I remember when I carried each of my boys...the overwhelming love, the fear I would screw up, the constant concern for them, etc. She must of felt that all the more since she was carrying the King of Kings. And you're right...how must she have felt when there was no room at the inn...did she want to scream, but I'm giving birth to the Son of God. So much to reflect upon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Post a Comment