I got a little ambitious tonight. I cooked chicken, stuffed mushrooms and tossed together a green salad with sliced bell pepper. Just as the mushrooms were coming out of the oven my hubby’s phone rings.
He walks in the kitchen, grabs a handful of bell peppers and says, “I have to go, that was Halo.” I thought he was joking. I had just said to him how glad I was we were all going to be home to eat together tonight. Unfortunately, he was serious and left within minutes.
As he walked out the door, memories flooded my mind. In our 20 years in the Coast Guard he would have 24 hour duty a couple of days a week. On duty he wasn’t allowed to leave the base. Many evenings the kids and I would make supper and take it to him so we could all eat together. I can not count the number of times I would haul the kids and pots of supper into the Ward Room (a living area for the duty crew) and we’d all set down to the table and the alarm would go off. A loud, startling alarm.
Curt would jump up, say “gotta go”, give me a kiss, and bolt out the door. The kids and I would sit looking at each other. They would beg to walk out to the hanger to watch “daddy” take off. The helicopter would take off and we’d have to watch until we could see it no longer. Then the kids and I would haul everything back to the car and go home.
Some times the minute we were walking in the door at home Curt was calling saying the search was over. You’re probably thinking I loaded everything back up to take my hubby supper. Think again!
Looking back those were precious memories. The kids are older now. There aren’t many days we get to all be together for supper.
I am appreciative for Halo Flight and the service they provide. I am thankful my hubby gets to do what he loves; fly and help people.
However, when Christ comes and invites me to His banquet table, I certainly hope He doesn’t get called out. I don't want to get left at the table, again. I want Him to sit, enjoy the feast, and visit. You never know though, He does like to help people too.
For fun: Check out this video. Here’s the Halo guys training at the Coast Guard base and, of course, they had to give Curt a little heckling.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comments:
What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.
Post a Comment