Have you heard the song “Christmas Makes Me Cry?” It’s a new song out by Mandisa and Matthew West. The song itself will make you cry, not to mention Christmas. This Christmas we have entered a new season in our life. Kids are growing up, moving off and can’t return for Christmas Day. All those special traditions – well, they are just changing. Memories are great and times do change. Must I cry?

As Lindsey and I decorated the small tree I keep in the kitchen, we recalled some of these seasons. This little stocking was a decoration I made for Curt when he spent Christmas at boot camp. He was flying fix wing before he entered the Army Flight School program to fly helo’s. Wooden ornaments were from my mom for my Christmas in Germany; my first Christmas away from home. And a dear aunt gave this stuffed teddy bear to Courtney for her first Christmas.

There are so many memories. There was the Christmas I was having a hard time getting it all together so my cousins popped in and decorated my house. I had gazillions of candles and about burnt down the kitchen cabinets that year. The next year Luka caught her new Christmas bear on fire in our bathroom. Not to mention the year a friend was setting under the fireplace mantle and hot wax came dripping off onto her. Memories. Just to clarify, Curt was right – candles can be dangerous. I don’t use as many any more. I do put a lot in my fireplace. I figure if they go up in smoke there I’m covered!

We try to give back too. The other night we made chocolate covered pretzels and took them to Chris. These are his favorites. He is such a blessed guy, he has NFL Network. We could think of no better time than to deliver these pretzels than Saturday night. What a real treat – we got to watch the Cowboys too. You’d think we planned that or something?

Through all the seasons, it’s been family and friends that have made it wonderful. We had our Christmas with Courtney this weekend. It was a blessing to have her home. Mom and Dad got to come down too for our special time. Christmas will be quieter this year. We’ll miss Courtney here – I hope Santa finds her where she is. We’ll go to Moms Christmas Day, but Molly and her family won’t be there. They are skiing. How rude???
No matter what season we are experiencing during the holidays, may we remember our family and friends. Most importantly, may we remember why the Christ Child was born.
Merry Christmas to all!
1 comments:
I will be home for christmas this yr!!
YAYAYAYAY!!
courtney
Post a Comment